Connect with us

Arts

Russian Protester Who Stormed Live TV Broadcast Arrested by Putin’s Goons Again

Published

on

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web
browser that
supports HTML5
video

A Russian journalist who made world headlines when she protested against the war in Ukraine on live television has been placed under house arrest for two months.

Marina Ovsyannikova interrupted a bulletin telling viewers not to believe state propaganda and shouted ‘stop the war’ on a station watched by millions in March.

She has continued to speak out against the invasion despite the threat of draconian prison sentences and fines. 

After a raid on her home, she was hauled in front of a judge this morning who warned her she faces up to 10 years in prison and must stay at home under police guard pending an investigation.

The new charge relates to a street protest during which she held up a sign near the Kremlin to protest over the deaths of children in Ukraine.

Ms Ovsyannikova was pictured with bloodied toy dolls at her feet and holding a placard reading ‘Putin is a killer, his soldiers are fascists’.

Undeterred, she continued to rage against the onslaught in court, holding up a poster which read ‘let the murdered children come to you in your dreams at night’.

Former Russian Channel One TV journalist Marina Ovsyannikova being escorted into court (Picture: EPA)

Harsh new laws were brought in shortly after the February invasion began in order to punish dissent, including banning use of the word ‘war’ to describe the situation.

Speaking after the hearing, her lawyer Dmitry Zakhvatov said: ‘Marina became a hostage of her own conscience and a hostage of her love for her children, you see.

‘She cannot be abroad because her children are here, and she cannot stay silent here because she’s a prisoner of her conscience.

‘As a mother, she can’t stay silent. She sees what’s going on and it’s making her speak out.’

Ms Ovsyannikova escaped a prison sentence for her infamous TV protest, which was carried out on a station she had worked for as an editor.

She was hauled in front of a judge after having her house raided by police the day before (Picture: EPA)

She has been fined two more times in recent weeks for criticising the military in a Facebook post and with comments she made at a court where an opposition activist also accused of spreading false information about the military was remanded into custody.

According to Net Freedoms, a legal aid group focusing on free speech cases, as of Wednesday there were 79 criminal cases on charges of spreading false information about the military and up to 4,000 administrative cases on charges of disparaging the armed forces.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Source Here: metro.co.uk

Arts

Sexual Immorality Is Not Sinful, Archbishop of York Says – Church & Ministries News

Published

on

Sexual immorality is not sinful, Archbishop of York says – Church … The Christian Post

Original Post: christianpost.com

Continue Reading

Arts

Paul Mescal Receives Apology From BBC After Broadcaster Makes Rather Awkward Blunder

Published

on

Irish actor Paul Mescal has been called British…again (Picture: Gilbert Flores/Variety via Getty Images)

His tweet clarifying his nationality may have been the most liked post in Ireland three years ago, but the BBC has had to apologise after getting a crucial fact about Oscar nominee Paul Mescal wrong.

Earlier this week the Irish actor was announced as one of the nominees for the upcoming Academy Awards.

The 26-year-old, who is from Maynooth, was given the nod for his leading role in indie flick Aftersun in the Actor in a Leading Role category.

In March, Paul will be going up against Austin Butler (Elvis), Brendan Fraser (The Whale), Bill Nighy (Living) and fellow Irishman Colin Farrell (The Banshees of Inisherin) in the prestigious category.

But when covering the nominations, the national broadcaster made a rather awkward error.

In text appearing on screen, the BBC reported: ‘2023 Oscar nominations: British actors Paul Mescal and Bill Nighy are nominated for leading role.’

The BBC has apologised for this mistake (Picture: eyeswideshut/ Twitter)

It has now apologised for the mistake, issuing a statement that read: ‘In text running across the screen we reported that Paul Mescal was one of two British actors who had been nominated for an Oscar for a leading role.’

‘The text should have said that Paul Mescal is Irish. We apologise for the mistake.’

When the mistake was made, plenty of people pointed it out and reminded the media outlet that Paul is very much Irish.

‘BBC news seems to not know Paul Mescal is IRISH,’ one person wrote.

Another added: ‘The BBC should know that Paul Mescal isn’t British.’

Plenty of people called out the BBC oversight (Picture: Twitter)

This person pointed out that Paul is very much Irish (Picture: Twitter)

Paul was one of several Irish Oscar nominees (Picture: Twitter)

It wasn’t the first time this has happened though.

Back in 2020, when Paul picked up an Emmy nomination for his breakthrough role in Normal People, outlets including The Guardian called him British.

It lead the actor to tweet ‘I’m Irish’, which ended up becoming the most-liked post in his home country that year.

Paul picked up an Oscar nomination for his starring role in Aftersun (Picture: A24 via AP)

The message quickly racked up over 130,000 likes as well as over 12,000 retweets and over 1,600 replies.

His Oscar nomination helped break a record for Ireland too, with the country securing 14 nominations in the upcoming awards ceremony.

Other actors to get nods included Barry Keoghan, Brendan Gleeson and Kerry Condon.

More: Trending

When his nomination was announced Paul said it was ‘truly a special moment for everyone involved in Aftersun’.

‘To be recognised by the Academy is such an insane honour and I’m so utterly grateful.’

Got a story?

If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us celebtips@metro.co.uk, calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.


MORE : Gladiator sequel delayed as Paul Mescal agrees to reprise acclaimed West End role


MORE : Oscar-nominee Paul Mescal would definitely like to appear in a Winnie-the-Pooh live-action remake… so he can play Eeyore

Original Post: metro.co.uk

Continue Reading

Arts

How Many Legs Are in the Carabao Cup Semi-finals? All the Rules Explained

Published

on

Only four teams remain in the competition (Picture: Michael Regan/Getty Images)

The Carabao Cup semi-finals continue tonight with Nottingham Forest welcoming Manchester United at the City Ground.

The winner of the tie will face either Newcastle United or Southampton in the final at Wembley on February 26.

With the regulations changing from one competition to another, here is your full lowdown of the rules in play across the semi-finals of the Carabao Cup 2023.

Are the Carabao Cup semi-finals played over two legs?

Yes, the Carabao Cup semi-finals will take place over two legs.

Newcastle beat Southampton 1-0 in the first leg of the first semi-final on Tuesday night, with the return leg scheduled for Tuesday, January 31 at 8pm.

Southampton and Newcastle played out an entertaining first leg (Picture: Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)

Meanwhile, Manchester United will host Nottingham Forest in the second leg of their semi-final on Wednesday, February 1 at 8pm.

VAR is in use for the first time in the Carabao Cup this season, having not featured in earlier rounds to ensure fairness across every tie.

Will extra-time and penalties be used in the Carabao Cup semi-finals?

If the score is level after the end of both legs then extra-time, and if required penalties, will be used to determine the winner.

This is the first time this season that matches finishing level in the Carabao Cup will head to extra-time, with ties previously proceeding straight to penalties in the event of a draw after 90 minutes.

The away goals rule will also not be in use for the two semi-finals.

The English Football League scrapped the rule ahead of the 2018/19, which up until that point only came into effect following the conclusion of extra-time.

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web
browser that
supports HTML5
video

How many substitutes are allowed in the Carabao Cup?

Managers will be able to use up to five substitutes across three windows during the game (half-time not included).

An extra substitution is permitted in extra-time, whilst both teams can also use two concussion substitutes if required.


MORE : Manchester United still keen to sign a second forward this month but will be limited to another loan deal


MORE : Newcastle refuse to meet Everton’s £60million valuation for Anthony Gordon and could turn attention to Hakim Ziyech

Follow Metro across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram

Share your views in the comments below

Article: metro.co.uk

Continue Reading

Trending

HyLevelMedia.com